Monday, December 23, 2013

Watch with me: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Ep 1)



So Hot Thing has been bugging me to watch this anime for the longest time ever, especially because the movie came out an a game is going to come out soon? (or it already has, I'm not sure). So in celebration of the end of first term, I decided I would give it a go! 
 
Creepy, amirite?

Right off the bat I could tell that Madoka Magica is involved with darker, more serious themes. Now, I'm really into the whole supernatural thing, but I'm also into the whole light airy slice of life kind of vibe, so you can only imagine I was a bit skeptical. I know what I said in my last post about liking dark animes, but this is kind of different. This is eerily-dark. Like, give me nightmares dark. Also, I’m not sure what it reminds me of, but it reminds me of something for sure....maybe it's a mix of lots of things.

 First things first though: I am not really used to the art. The characters look somewhat like sketches or drafts, but it’s not so much that it takes away from the story. Actually, I kind of like it.

The opening features Madoka in her dream witnessing a girl fighting, while a cute little bunny/cat like creature by the name of Kyubei is cajoling her to make a contract with him. Later, we find out that this contract is to be a “magic girl” which I have no idea what that means or entails, but nevertheless, I’m guessing that it is something that will happen sooner or later. Madoka goes to school upon awakening to find out that this girl from her dream has enrolled in her class, and by the sounds of it she does not want Madoka to make a contract with the cute rabbit. Also by the looks of it, this new girl Homura is a magic girl, but she is not on board with Kyubei because she is trying to kill him. Then this strange girl in blond pigtails “saves” them all from Homura’s wrath as well as a witch attack.
Kyubei
 
 I honestly don’t really know what to make of this whole thing. It’s admittedly peculiar but also intriguing. So far there is one word I can use to describe this anime: eerie. Everything from the strange imagery to the background music and the strange mellow tension (it’s a paradox, I know) in the air. Anyways, I'm excited to watch the next episode, and I also hope that Hot Thing doesn't kill me because she thinks this review is half-assed. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment